Have you ever been lying in bed and realized you forgot to turn the thermostat to heat the house overnight? It’s a pain to get up and go switch it on. If you get a smart thermostat, you can control it from your phone! No more getting up in the middle of the night to turn the thermostat on or off. The Nest thermostat is one of the smart thermostat options. You can choose either the Standard Nest Thermostat (SNT) or the Nest Learning Thermostat (NLT). The two thermostats are both smart devices, but they do have some similarities and differences.
- Proven energy savings
- Savings Finder
- Turns itself down when you’re away
- Control from anywhere
- Easy to program
- HVAC monitoring
- Voice control (speaker sold separately)
- Different color options
- Set-up (SNT is set up in Google Home app, NLT is set up in Nest app)
- SNT is compatible with 85% of 24V heating and cooling systems
- NLT is compatible with 95% of 24V heating and cooling systems
- Trim Plate not included with Standard Nest Thermostat
- SNT does not work with Nest Temperature Sensor, but NLT does (sold separately)
- SNT has plastic housing while NLT has a metal ring
- SNT has a mirror display, and NLT has a high-resolution digital display with Farsight*
- SNT has a one-year warranty, and the NLT has a two-year warranty
*Farsight shows the time, temperature, or weather in large text so you can see it across the room.
Which Should You Choose?
Either option is going to work well for you. If you want something more aesthetically pleasing or will use the Nest Temperature Sensor, you should go with the Nest Learning Thermostat.
If you just want a basic smart thermostat that you can control from your bed, the Standard Nest Thermostat is the way to go.